Arm Yourself with the Truth
September 2012 – Issue 19 – Migraine Facts
The Continuing Pursuit for Migraine Elimination and Pain Reduction
Editors Note: Here are 9 Migraine Facts that I wish I knew right when I first got diagnosed with migraines.
I think if I could have armed myself with the truth early on, I would not have been so hurt and offended by others comments and remarks. Don’t feed the stigma associated with Migraines, share what you know to be true and educate others at the same time.
I hope you enjoy them and find them useful.
My Top 9 Migraine Facts so You Can Arm Yourself with the Truth
1. Migraine is a neurological disorder, a medical condition that is most typically characterized by pain eruption and symptoms.
2. The headache or pain phase, is only one of the symptoms of migraine attacks. There are many symptoms and they are unpredictable.
3. There are four possible phases of migraine attack: Prodome, Aura, Pain or headache, and postdrome. Not everyone experiences all four phases of an attack.
4. Migraines can last days, weeks or even months. Most typically they last from four to 72 hours. Mine can last up to 10 days and I get all sorts of symptoms.
5. Risk factors associated with migraines and complications can be life threatening. Although migraines themselves are not considered to be life threatening, in US studies, the risk of stroke and other cardiovascular diseases is higher in migraineurs. And suicide attempts are 3 times higher
in migraine sufferers whether or not they have also been previously diagnosed with depression. Depression can come as a symptom to a migraine attack.
6. Not all neurologists are migraine specialists. Not all doctors are educated enough to treat migraines efficiently. This has certainly been my experience. I have had to ‘doctor shop’ for years, and it takes a lot of questioning before I can trust the doctor has much awareness around migraine disease.
7. Being Type A personality does not make you a candidate for migraines. The most current research proves that there is no correlation between a particular dominant personality profile that is common to migraineurs. (YEAH! I hated being branded with type A personality).
8. No two migraineurs are the same and it is possible that no two migraines are the same. There are so many different combinations of types and symptoms, that no two people experience the same migraine attack. Even the
attacks differ within themselves.
9. There are more treatment options available to us now for migraine prevention than any other time in history.
Ask the Editor
Do you have a question you’d like to ask the editor on this topic? If so please
to Contact Me. I will respond as soon as possible.
Your Input – Give YOUR Migraine A Voice
This is a safe forum to express your troubles – tell
- find solutions with
- and get
professional health advice
. Just click on the links underlined above if you would like to contribute.
Remember that your contribution will help others too! We are not in this alone, even though it feels like it most of the time. Our stories and input can help each other.
My Question to You
What migraine facts have you discovered that you were surprised by?
to tell us.
The next issue is: Issue 20 – Treating Migraine
Treating Migraine in the Prodome stage. Being proactive may just abort your next migraine. Body awareness is crucial to …
I hope you ENJOYED this issue of The Pain Chronicles!
If you’ve missed an issue
to read the back issues.
And before I forget!
Please send this to your friends and family. It’s time to spread the word about Migraines and educate our loved ones! They can click on this link to
I wish you Migraine FREE Life full of fun and adventure, and peace and tranquility should you desire that too. Talk to you next month.